Facts About Infidelity. As a Marriage Counselor I’ve been working with Couples for 22 years. Some are married and some are not. Some are happy others are not. Just because you have a marriage certificate doesn’t mean your relationship is safe from the trials and tribulations of what it takes to make a relationship work. There are many things that can negatively affect a relationship but none hits a person’s core as badly as Infidelity. Despite the devastation of infidelity and the faulty beliefs about extramarital affairs here are some interesting facts about cheating.
1. Most couples don’t get divorce.
2. Infidelity is equal in gender, sexual orientation, social, economical class and culture and educational level.
3. Women are increasing within the statistics.
4. Infidelity (sexual) in women significantly increases the likelihood of spousal abuse and spousal homicide.
5. No relationship is immune from affairs. Needs constant and ongoing honest communication and
commitment to sexual exclusivity.
6. Most couples survive the crisis come out of it stronger and more committed to their relationship.
7. Society says they support Monogamy but actually supports infidelity through media, news, the movies and some
8. Jealousy is biologically wired.
9. People who have affairs are unable to go beyond the “honeymoon stage” of the falling in love phase.
10. Narcissists are prone to infidelity.
11. Even though some people are happy in their marriage research shows they still have affairs.
12. Even though people are getting enough sex at home research shows they still have affairs.
13. After having children increases the likelihood of marital affairs.
14. AIDS did not reduce infidelity, people cheating reported using condoms with their partners.
15. Infidelity can be a life long hurt.
In Marriage Counseling I facilitate Affair Recovery through three phases; the crisis phase, the insight phase, and the vision phase. There are steps included in each phase where couples talk about what happened and what is needed for moving forward. Divorce is not the only options. In Couples Counseling through Affair Recovery we talk about the different options couples can discuss for their specific circumstances as each couple is different. If you or someone you know needs more information about how to manage the hurt of infidelity and want information about the process of Affair Recovery please give me a call at (858) 735-1139.