Infidelity Myths. Last week I shared some basic facts about marital affairs and infidelity that often contradict these myths. The following are some faulty beliefs about extramarital affairs.
1. An affair ends up in divorce and destroys the marriage.
2. Monogamy is the norm in our society.
3. Men initiate affairs.
4. Society supports monogamy.
5. Human beings are naturally monogamous.
6. Marital sex is always safe sex.
7. Internet infidelity on any level is not considered an affair.
8. Parental infidelity increases likelihood of their children’s infidelity.
9. Telling all the details of the affair to the hurt partner will help heal the marriage/relationship
10. People generally seek in an affair what they are not getting at home.
11. Infidelity is a sign that sex is missing or not good at home.
12. An affair tends to mean there are serious problems in the relationship.
13. Women are more likely to have affairs because they feel unhappy in their relationship.
14. Men tend to have affairs just for sex.
15. Affairs hardly ever hurt anyone.
If you or someone you know have been hurt by infidelity and want to get some perspective on what to do next, please give me a call at (858) 735-1139.