Life Lessons Our Parents Didn’t Teach Us. I don’t know about you but as a “baby boomer” and parents of immigrants from a developing Country, there was not much time nor opportunity to learn life lessons outside of what public school taught us and that wasn’t much. Wisdom lies in acting on the world as it is, not as we wish it to be. Here are 10 skills that can clarify your visions and bring you closer to your life goals.
- Understand not everything that happens to you is about you.
- Focus on other people without obsessing on how they view you.
- Stay true to your own values despite what others expect of you.
- Know how to ask for honest feedback.
- Realize you don’t have to act the way you feel.
- Be able to manage and reframe disappointment and adversity.
- Hone in on your significance in a high-tech world.
- Find motivation from within.
- Be open to revised thinking.
- Tolerate ambiguity.
As a Marriage and Family Therapist working with individuals, couples, and families, I stress the importance of developing a greater sense of self so you can decide for yourself what is needed for your happiness. Listening to your intuition is a guide that should not be ignored as it can lead you to realize what is right and wrong for you. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and feelings and more importantly, so do you. As you trust and come to know yourself better the above 10 skills can help you live the life that is congruent to what you know and feel.
Don’t let others decide what is best for you. If you have a feeling that doesn’t feel right with their wants don’t give into it. Do what you believe is in your best interest and don’t feel like you’ve done something wrong. For more information on obtaining what it is you want for your happiness please call me at (858) 735-1139.