Neurology Matters in Couples Therapy. Normal couples counseling will not help if you are married to someone on the Autism Spectrum. You need Neurodiverse Couples Counseling.
My husband has Asperger’s. We have been married for 21 years. As a Marriage and Family Therapist, I always knew there was something off with the way my husband communicated. I love my husband very much, but the first decade of our marriage was very challenging. I “acted out” quite a bit as I came to understand I was suffering from Cassandra Syndrome. I don’t know how many times I threatened divorce.
We sought Marriage Counseling, however, our communication did not improve. My discouragement and frustration lead to more acting out behavior which wasn’t helping. What we needed were relational tools and education about how Neurodiverse couples (Asperger husband; Neurotypical wife) process information differently. The understanding was quite eye opening.
Neurodiverse Couples Counseling
As a Marriage and Family Therapist, and Certified Neurodiverse Couples Counselor, I am able to effectively help Neurodiverse Couples:
- Identify root cause of issues through a Neurological lens
- Understand meltdowns in one or both partners and how to manage them
- By making an assessment using an Asperger’s profile in one of the partners
- Interpret for each partner what behavior means
- Acquire tools that initiate communication, express thoughts and feelings, and ask for what is needed
- Implement those tools
- Put systems in place for healthier and more effective interaction
- Understand and appreciate that both have their own perspectives and see things differently
As a Therapist that works with Neurodiverse Couples, I normalize behavior that may be construed as odd and unkind. I know first hand how it feels to be a woman married to a husband on the Spectrum. With education, tools and adding levity to our sessions and difficult situational stories my couples present, we are able to develop and exercise more relational behavior to receive the emotional connection desired.
For more information about getting Neurodiverse Couples Counseling please contact me at (858) 735-1139.