Sex and The Baby Boomers. This Generation consist of individuals born between the years 1946 – 1964 during a period of time where there was a noticeable but temporary increase in the birth rate. This Generation, which I’m a part of, is also known as the “Coming of Age” era as WWII had ended and the world was experiencing many changes that would affect our present day culture.
Sex and The Baby Boomers
Baby boomers grew up enjoying the sexual revolution because the birth control pill was made available and enabled sexual freedom between the sexes. A survey of 1,816 people were taken by the American Association of Retired People (AARP) to determine just how much this population still thinks about and engages in sex.
1. 71% say sex is still important to their lives.
2. 54% are satisfied with their sex lives.
3. 67% admit that their sexual desire has receded in the past 20 years.
4. 45% of Baby Boomers are less comfortable with their appearance then they were 10 years ago.
5. 33% have sexual thoughts or fantasies at least once a day. The most common: having sex with someone younger.
6. 54% claim they have never watched online pornography.
7. 48% would prefer to spend time with friends than have sex.
8. Boomer men report an average of 14 sexual partners over their lifetimes; women a total of 9.
9. 13% say they are great lovers.
10. 24% think their partners are great lovers.
I can appreciate the survey and want to add that as we get older physical intimacy is nice but that deeper emotional and psychological intimacy that one achieves as time goes by with one another is far better than any sexual orgasm at this stage of the game. Yes, in our 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s sex was great, but in our 50’s, 60’s and 70’s sex is precious if you experience it with the one you grew old with.
If you would like more information on moving forward as a Baby Boomer in your sexual relationship please contact me at (858) 735-1139.